This is a journal I really wish I would have started a long time ago. I've tried many, many wines, and continue to learn new things about tasting all the time. Wine tasting is more than just a palatable enjoyment. It is really an art for the senses; Sight, Smell, Taste, and even Texture! Wine has become an acquired taste for me, and I am expanding my palate all of the time. I really wish I could remember enough to write description about all the varieties I've tried. Since I can't, I will start here and now. I hope you find your own haven of wine-o'ness. Please feel free to leave comments on the wines that you have also tried. Enjoy, an please drink responsibly.

The Dead Arm 2003 Shiraz

d' Arenberg The Dead Arm McLaren Vale 2003 Shiraz

This is a wine that is a bit strong for my palate, but is perfect for my husband. He absolutely loves this wine. It is very dark purple and opaque, giving it a thickness and full-bodies taste. It has a very intense spice and has more than just a nuance of blackberries, oak and earth. We drank it just 2 years into it's cellaring, but it's prime would be about 2013, so we bought another bottle and we plan on, at least trying to, hold onto it for a while.
The name may sound a bit scary, but the story behind it is very interesting. The "Dead Arm" is a vine disease caused by a fungus. The vine becomes dead on one side, but yields nice little grapes, that are full of flavor on the other. The grapes are hand-harvested and go through their own special little pressing and fermenting process.
This wine comes in your typical sized approx. 750 ml bottle, that runs about $65.00 retail. Fortunately for those with a tighter budget, it comes in the "half" bottles, of 375ml,for about $30.00. My personal suggestion for this wine is for it to be shared sparingly among a group of friends and some chocolate cake.

COST: $30-65
ORIGIN: Fleurieu Peninsula, South Australia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home